Today I thought I would share with you these yummy strawberry cupcakes. I am longing for spring, which is actually right around the corner. And what is better for spring than these delicious strawberry cupcakes?
All through my life I have always loved to bake and especially after becoming a wife and mother. I saw these strawberry cupcakes with strawberry Swiss meringue buttercream from the book of Martha Stewart’s Cupcakes and this was my first attempt making it. I pureed fresh strawberries which makes it the perfect complement to the strawberry cake. Plus the Swiss meringue buttercream is fluffy and absolutely melts in your mouth.
So what makes this cupcake so marvelous? The moist cake that is full with tons of chopped fresh strawberries and the strawberry Swiss meringue buttercream that is absolutely to die for. My husband was the first taste-tester and the reaction on his face was priceless. Although the process is a little time consuming but it is definitely worth it when your love ones enjoy it. Enjoy!
Strawberry Cupcake Recipe
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups cake flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 3/4 cups sugar
4 large eggs
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups milk
10 ounces diced strawberries
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 1/2 standard 12-cup cupcake pans with paper liners; set aside.
2. Into a medium bowl, sift together flours, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
3. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Beat in eggs, one at a time, and then beat in vanilla. With the mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture in three parts, alternating with the milk and beginning and ending with the flour; beat until combined after each addition. Fold in strawberries.
4. Divide the batter evenly among the prepared cups so that each is about two-thirds full, about 2 ounces each. Bake, rotating the pans halfway through, until the cupcakes are golden brown and a cake tester inserted in the centers comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Transfer pans to a wire rack to cool for 5 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pan and cool completely on wire racks.
5. Pipe Strawberry Swiss Meringue Buttercream (see below for recipe) on top of each cupcake. If you like, garnish with strawberries.
Strawberry Swiss Meringue Buttercream Recipe
4 large egg whites
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups (12 ounces) strawberry, pureed in a food processor
1. In the heatproof bowl of an electric mixer set over a saucepan of simmering water, combine egg whites and sugar. Cook, whisking constantly, until sugar has dissolved and mixture is warm to the touch.
2. Attach the bowl to the mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat the egg-white mixture on high speed until it holds stiff peaks. Continue beating until the mixture is fluffy and cooled, about 6 minutes.
3. Switch to the paddle attachment. With mixer on medium-low speed, add butter several tablespoons at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Beat on lowest speed to eliminate any air bubbles, about 2 minutes. Stir in pureed strawberries with a rubber spatula until frosting is smooth.
Thank you for reading!